The Court House was the proud symbol
of Tolland’s 300th Anniversary Celebration
1715 – 2015
The Court House has closed for the 2019 season, but tours of the museum can be done by appointment during the off-season. To make an appointment, contact Historical Society President Kathy Bach at 860-872-7716 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
View a Virtual Tour of the Court House and see some of the
regular exhibits the Museum has to offer. To be able to read a longer description of the pictures, hold the mouse over the blue icon (lower left hand corner).
Our successful silhouette portrait fundraiser, featuring beautiful hand-cut silhouettes from artist Marcella Comerford, returns Saturday, Nov. 16 at the Old Tolland County Court House Museum at 53 Tolland Green.
These lovely portraits make unique holiday gifts and treasured mementos. A portion of the proceeds will benefit the Tolland Historical Society. All work is done free-hand, and even wiggly children are welcome.
Sessions are by appointment only. To make an appointment, go to Tolland Historical Society Sign-up at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0549aaa723a7f49-silhouette66 and select a time.
A single silhouette costs $37, with a duplicate costing $15. A 5×7 frame for one silhouette is $35, and an 8×10 frame for two to three silhouettes is $45. Each silhouette is mounted on an acid-free museum board.
Baby bump and pet silhouettes created from photos are also available by special order. For more information on that option, email email@example.com, and don’t forget to mention the Tolland Historical Society.
For more information on the event, email Ni-Ni Reinard at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The museum was the scene of a major quilt show on Sept. 28 and 29, 2019.
The show will featured 41 handmade quilts, both modern and antique, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day.
The oldest quilt in the show dated to the mid 19th-century. Admission is $5 each day.
The show will took place in the beautifully restored upstairs courtroom in the 1822 courthouse.
ABOUT THE COURT HOUSE
The Court House was built in 1822 and used for the purpose until about 1890. The
second-floor courtroom museum regular exhibits feature the growth of the town when it was the seat of Tolland County.
Early civic buildings are rare in Connecticut, and this beautiful 1822 courthouse has been called one of the five most important remaining examples. It replaced an earlier building built in 1785 to satisfy the requirement of the state that the town must provide a courthouse and “gaol” in order to be designated as the Tolland County Seat.
All courts in Tolland County were held here until about 1890, when they relocated to the new Memorial Building in Rockville. In 1899, a library opened on the first floor, the town’s public library until 1985, when it moved to the newly renovated Hicks Municipal Center.
The building was given to the Historical Society by the Tolland Public Library Association in 2001, becoming the Society’s third museum.
The second floor, with its cove ceiling and beautiful Palladian window, has been returned to working courtroom appearance. The back of the courtroom and the upstairs hallway contain exhibits related to the history of the building and the effects the presence of courts and jail on the growth of the town and its institutions.
The first floor is occupied by the French Canadian Genealogical Society as a library.
Group tours can be arranged, and may be combined with Jail tour.
French Canadian Genealogical Society
Located on the first floor of the court house, the research library houses records pertaining to baptisms, marriages and burial dating back to the early 1600s. Due to the careful record keeping of the French Canadians, your chances of finding a record about your ancestor are often better than for an American one.
For more information visit website at: www.fcgsc.org